MaLa v1.0 beta3

• hier ist die letzte beta der version 1.0. zur info nochmal alle änderungen zur version 0.9.9:

Improvements
    - New application: MalaGamelist: Create and edit game lists and game names
    - New application: MalaTree: Create and edit emulator/gamelist trees
    - Support for MaLa hardware with 32 leds
    - Connect 2 MaLa hardware boards. Up to 64 leds.
    - Triggering of leds improved
    - Game info window. Displays history, controls, snap, marquee and control panel
    - On the fly ipac/jpac programming
    - LCD screen for each non mame emulator
    - LED state for each non mame emulator
    - Attract videos for each non mame emulator
    - Use of multiple attract mode files
    - Randomized LED attract mode
    - Multiple extensions for other emulators
    - Auto collect of rom extensions for non mame emulators
    - Definable commandline for other emulators with placeholder %rom%
    - Change order of other emulators
    - Image effects (grayscale, darkness, buttonize)
    - Browser mode for gamelist display
    - Start game on mala start (selected, random or last played game)
    - Jump by letter in gamelists
    - Dynamic acceleration of gamelist scrolling
    - Sort field per gamelist
    - New sort field for gamelist: play count
    - Rotating emulator switch
    - New lcd and text values: browser flag, browser category, browser filter
    - New lcd and text values for emulator view: Background music tag and time values
    - New controller option: start random game
    - New controller options: vol up, vol down, prev song, next song
    - Auto gamelist switch on orientation switch
    - Disable splash screen
    - Show/Hide windows taskbar
    - Mame command line extra parameter
    - Support für history.dat file
    - New item in MaLa menu 'Game List': browse: on/off
    - New items in MaLa menu 'Sound': prev song, next song
    - Definables per layout
    - MaLaLayout: Resizable main window with scrollbars
    - MaLaLayout: Open image dialogs with preview
    - MaLaLayout: Preview window for z-order and animations
    - MaLaLayout: Lock size and/or position of objects
    - Layout: New exit window with selectable default action
    - Layout: Background music
    - Layout: Z-Order adjustment for all objects
    - Layout: 4 new custom images with transparency
    - Layout: 4 new animated images/layer with transparency and 4 directions
    - Layout: Visibility for title field
    - Layout: Default images for snap, marquee and control panel
    - New bugs ;)

Changes
    - The gamelist file format has changed: Added controls.ini information to speed up scrolling and extension of romfile
    - The gamelist file format has changed: Sort field is now part of gamelist
    - The emulator file format has changed: Added video path, lcd screen, led state and ipc file.
    - Controller options menu up and menu down removed.
    - Node layout removed from MaLa menu

Download: MaLa v1.0 beta3 [1.94mb]

IMPORTANT!
    please perform a fresh install due to some file format changes.

WICHTIG!
    diese version bitte frisch installieren und nicht einfach in das alte mala verzeichnis kopieren. es haben sich dateiformate geändert (emulatoren gamelisten).

alle bugs bitte hier reporten, danke!

• - Possible Bugs:?
    * MaLa layout hanged once on start-up before I set-up MaLa (I could not replicate it..sorry)
    * MaLa reported that mala.ini was missing when it was in the same directory as my mame executable (Could this
    possibly be due the fact that I have it labelled as mame79.exe not mame.exe?)
    * Mala installer was in German (I assume full installer will be done for final release?)

- New things since the last Beta I love:
    * Exit Action (Quit or Shutdown)
    * LED Randomizer
    * Ability to edit Game Names
    * Glad to see blanking controller options bug has been fixed.
    * Love the default 'space invader' layout. It's better than just a colour as a new user may think something is
    wrong :)

- Suggestions for a future version:
    * Have MaLa prompt user for snap directory. The reason I suggest this is I have noticed that some users think
    MaLa is not working properly when they have a layout that users snaps but have forgotten to set the directory.
    * Have the Mala Hardware section 'dimmed' rather than blank if hardware is not connected. That way it would be
    a tease/incentive to purchase hardware if they could see what the hardware was capable of.-
    * I like the option of disabling the ‘Splash Screen’. However I probably would not disable it if it could be
    displayed vertically (like my set-up is)

• Zitat

- Possible Bugs:?
    * MaLa layout hanged once on start-up before I set-up MaLa (I could not replicate it..sorry)

Will check it.

Zitat

* MaLa reported that mala.ini was missing when it was in the same directory as my mame executable (Could this
    possibly be due the fact that I have it labelled as mame79.exe not mame.exe?)

You mean mame.ini, right?
    MaLa should use the name of the exe as ini file name. eg mame79.exe -> mame79.ini

Zitat

* Mala installer was in German (I assume full installer will be done for final release?)

Yes, there will be a multi language installer in the final release.

Zitat

* Have MaLa prompt user for snap directory. The reason I suggest this is I have noticed that some users think
    MaLa is not working properly when they have a layout that users snaps but have forgotten to set the directory.

I removed it. Maybe I put it back again.

Zitat

* Have the Mala Hardware section 'dimmed' rather than blank if hardware is not connected. That way it would be
    a tease/incentive to purchase hardware if they could see what the hardware was capable of.-

I think its a better way to show the abilities of the hardware on a webpage or in the wiki. It's a lot of coding to 'dimm' all the controls ...

Zitat

* I like the option of disabling the ‘Splash Screen’. However I probably would not disable it if it could be
    displayed vertically (like my set-up is)

you mentioned that already some time ago , right? :D good idea!

Simon, thanks a lot for testing and reporting!

• Zitat

You mean mame.ini, right? MaLa should use the name of the exe as ini file name. eg mame79.exe -> mame79.ini

Yes I did..opps. I use the same mame.ini for two versions of mame. That is why I did not label it mame79.ini.... mame.ini works whether i use mame79.exe or mame80.exe... No big deal :)

Zitat

Have the Mala Hardware section 'dimmed' rather than blank if hardware is not connected. That way it would be

I think its a better way to show the abilities of the hardware on a webpage or in the wiki. It's a lot of coding to 'dimm' all the controls ...

ok...How about a link to the Website Hardware section then. You can put it alongside 'Please put in your MaLa hardware' http://mala.arcadezentrum.com/hardware.html

Great Stuff...!!!!! Love the New Website!

• ....a bit more... 'Get a life' I hear you say :D

- Possible Bugs:?
    * If I have MaLa load as the Windows 'Shell' (to hide windows) and have a game load on startup I encounter problems with windows. Windows resolution is changed to the wrong settings sometimes when you quit the game leaving the MaLa menu in the corner of the screen or too big. I guess the reason is MaLa is loading before Windows has had the chance to boot up properly
    [EDIT]**Suggestion: Could an easy soloution be to have the option of holding the splash screen up for a 'adjustable' number of seconds before contining to load MaLa, this may allow Windows to catch up. This could help other users who have had layout problems when loading MaLa at startup too?

* I Need more User selctions in the menu please for LEDS. I ran out. Another 10 would do it. FYI I plan to use tri LEDS from Groovygamegear
    I should get some sexy colour effects

- New things since the last Beta I love:
    * The bug that caused Bank 3 of the 32 LED controller not to work appears to be fixed now 8)

- Suggestions for a future version:
    Have it use the wavs (found on your website) by default. I thought having the Invaders layout was a great move and adding sound would be more appealing to new users I think

• Zitat

Original von loadman
    * I Need more User selctions in the menu please for LEDS. I ran out. Another 10 would do it.

Please explain it, I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks again for testing and reporting!

• Great... 8o

**Possible Bugs

1)- After you launch a 'random' game via the controls the LCD displays information from the last selected game not the game that is actually loaded.

2)- If MaLa is configured to work with a LCD and you launch MaLa without the LCD plugged into the MaLa hardware, then MaLa will freeze on the Splash Screen' until you plug it in. A error message after a timeout would be better I feel.

**Great to see all the added material to the Website

Gekommen auf deutsche Benutzer Mala...., Berichten Sie bitte Wanzen und über Störungen für SWINDUS

• Zitat

Original von loadman
    1)- After you launch a 'random' game via the controls the LCD displays information from the last selected game not the game that is actually loaded.

Should be fixed now.

Zitat

Original von loadman
    2)- If MaLa is configured to work with a LCD and you launch MaLa without the LCD plugged into the MaLa hardware, then MaLa will freeze on the Splash Screen' until you plug it in. A error message after a timeout would be better I feel.

I know this behavior, but I don't found a solution for this so far.

• Splash screen rotates now to the MaLa orientation and can be used as 'startup timer' to avoid to fast loading on some systems when MaLa is started with windows.

• Zitat

Original von swindus
    Splash screen rotates now to the MaLa orientation and can be used as 'startup timer' to avoid to fast loading on some systems when MaLa is started with windows.

Good Idea. I'm sure some users who load mala on start-up or as the windows Shell will benefit from having a 'start-up timer'.

;)

• Zitat

Original von loadman

I know this behavior, but I don't found a solution for this so far.[/quote]

.... Could you display what Mala is doing on start-up so that the users could see why MaLa has stopped. Then when it freezes it would hang on a message like 'connecting to LCD display' or something like that.

Really this problem is not a high a priority in my view, I just wanted to make sure you were aware.